Number 6: "Nuculer"
Louis Block
2006-03-20 16:21:25 UTC
I'm still working my way through the first half of the second season.
Any one else notice how often #6 refers to the "nuculer weapon"? Even in
conversations with Baltar where he very clearly enunciates the word
"nuclear"? Maybe its just me, but you'd think someone on the set
would've corrected her. Or maybe its just her programming.
Kweeg
2006-03-20 16:42:08 UTC
Post by Louis Block
I'm still working my way through the first half of the second season.
Any one else notice how often #6 refers to the "nuculer weapon"? Even in
conversations with Baltar where he very clearly enunciates the word
"nuclear"? Maybe its just me, but you'd think someone on the set
would've corrected her. Or maybe its just her programming.
Canadian prairie (Alberta) accent.
--
Qapla'
Kweeg
"So say we all!"
Dillon Pyron
2006-03-21 03:17:33 UTC
Post by Kweeg
Post by Louis Block
I'm still working my way through the first half of the second season.
Any one else notice how often #6 refers to the "nuculer weapon"? Even in
conversations with Baltar where he very clearly enunciates the word
"nuclear"? Maybe its just me, but you'd think someone on the set
would've corrected her. Or maybe its just her programming.
Canadian prairie (Alberta) accent.
Still, one would think that the Canadian education system would have
nipped that little problem in the bud. Next thing you know, you'll
have a PM talking aboot "our 'Meriacan allies"
--
dillon

Could have been is in the past
Could be is in the future
There is only the now
Kweeg
2006-03-21 08:24:47 UTC
Post by Dillon Pyron
Post by Kweeg
Post by Louis Block
I'm still working my way through the first half of the second season.
Any one else notice how often #6 refers to the "nuculer weapon"? Even in
conversations with Baltar where he very clearly enunciates the word
"nuclear"? Maybe its just me, but you'd think someone on the set
would've corrected her. Or maybe its just her programming.
Canadian prairie (Alberta) accent.
Still, one would think that the Canadian education system would have
nipped that little problem in the bud. Next thing you know, you'll
have a PM talking aboot "our 'Meriacan allies"
I take it you've never heard a Newfoundlander then.... and lets not start
about how they pronounce things in Quebec, it sounds like different words.
"So say we all!"
Paul in Toronto
2006-03-21 22:49:27 UTC
Post by Kweeg
I take it you've never heard a Newfoundlander then.... and lets not start
about how they pronounce things in Quebec, it sounds like different words.
I almost dated a Quebecois girl back in highschool. Mind you, she was an
anglo from Montreal, with barely a hint of an accent. Blonde, with a cute
butt... Ah well...
Dillon Pyron

There is only the now
Een Wilde Ier
Ahh yes, the Waterford accent.
JJ
2006-03-26 05:01:06 UTC
Post by Dillon Pyron
Post by Kweeg
Post by Louis Block
I'm still working my way through the first half of the second season.
Any one else notice how often #6 refers to the "nuculer weapon"? Even in
conversations with Baltar where he very clearly enunciates the word
"nuclear"? Maybe its just me, but you'd think someone on the set
would've corrected her. Or maybe its just her programming.
Canadian prairie (Alberta) accent.
Still, one would think that the Canadian education system would have
nipped that little problem in the bud. Next thing you know, you'll
have a PM talking aboot "our 'Meriacan allies"
Speaking about Baltar, At the start of every show number 6 and
Baltar gets destroyed from the blast.
Now, is Baltar a Cylon? I'm sure this has been talked to death early on
but I was not here then.
Ta ta.
Bob
2006-03-26 13:38:36 UTC
Post by JJ
Speaking about Baltar, At the start of every show number 6 and
Baltar gets destroyed from the blast.
Baltar obviously survives because he shows up at the Raptor to be
rescued.
Post by JJ
Now, is Baltar a Cylon? I'm sure this has been talked to death early on
but I was not here then.
No, at least according to Master Ron.

If you watch the miniseries closely it shows that he cannot be a
Cylon. If he were, then Six would not have had to trick him into
goving her the access codes.
--
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant:
It's just that they know so much that isn't so."
--Ronald Reagan
Chris Basken
2006-03-26 15:15:41 UTC
Post by JJ
Now, is Baltar a Cylon? I'm sure this has been talked to death early on
but I was not here then.
No, at least according to Master Ron.
If you watch the miniseries closely it shows that he cannot be a
Cylon. If he were, then Six would not have had to trick him into
goving her the access codes.
I don't buy that as a reason. Baltar could be a sleeper and it's
important to his long-term programming that he remain convinced he's not
a Cylon. Six going through the motions of tricking him might be part of
that. Again, they've shown that they put agents in place who don't know
they're agents.

However, if Moore has let the daggit out of the bag with this one, so be
it. But I still believe it could have been possible based solely on
what we see.
Bob
2006-03-26 15:54:34 UTC
Post by Bob
Cylon. If he were, then Six would not have had to trick him into
goving her the access codes.
I don't buy that as a reason. Baltar could be a sleeper and it's
important to his long-term programming that he remain convinced he's not
a Cylon. Six going through the motions of tricking him might be part of
that. Again, they've shown that they put agents in place who don't know
they're agents.
If you analyze Moore's storytelling style, you find it is not complex.

Therefore your explanation won't work because it's too contrived. It's
safer to go with the minimal explanation that fit the data.
Post by Bob
However, if Moore has let the daggit out of the bag with this one, so be
it. But I still believe it could have been possible based solely on
what we see.
It has been alleged by Podcast listeners that Moore has proclaimed
that Baltar is not a Cylon. I got in on the Podcasts late and I do not
recall that comment of his. I do recall the comment that Hallucination
Six is Baltar's guilty conscience. Notice that Moore's explanation is
not complex and is the simplest explanation that fits the data.

Moore is intricate but not complex.
--Ronald Reagan
Atlas Bugged
2006-03-26 16:33:19 UTC
Well-put.
Chris Basken
2006-03-26 16:37:19 UTC
Post by Bob
Cylon. If he were, then Six would not have had to trick him into
goving her the access codes.
I don't buy that as a reason. Baltar could be a sleeper and it's
important to his long-term programming that he remain convinced he's not
a Cylon. Six going through the motions of tricking him might be part of
that. Again, they've shown that they put agents in place who don't know
they're agents.
If you analyze Moore's storytelling style, you find it is not complex.
No, but it's also not straightforward.
Post by Bob
Therefore your explanation won't work because it's too contrived. It's
safer to go with the minimal explanation that fit the data.
Well, it's moot if Moore has confirmed Baltar's not a Cylon.
Post by Bob
Post by Bob
However, if Moore has let the daggit out of the bag with this one, so be
it. But I still believe it could have been possible based solely on
what we see.
It has been alleged by Podcast listeners that Moore has proclaimed
that Baltar is not a Cylon. I got in on the Podcasts late and I do not
recall that comment of his. I do recall the comment that Hallucination
Six is Baltar's guilty conscience. Notice that Moore's explanation is
not complex and is the simplest explanation that fits the data.
Moore is intricate but not complex.
I guess I'm always looking for the payoff. Boomer-the-sleeper-agent is
a setup. I'm waiting for the other "X-is-a-sleeper-agent" shoe to fall.
Bart Van Hemelen
2006-03-28 15:18:04 UTC
Post by JJ
Speaking about Baltar, At the start of every show number 6 and
Baltar gets destroyed from the blast.
According to the BSG Wiki:

Given that Baltar's home was destroyed and Caprica-Six "died" in a
nuclear explosion, how did Baltar survive?

* In the Miniseries novelization, this is expanded upon; his house
wasn't entirely destroyed (that is, not reduced to pebbles) and when
Caprica-Six blocked the blast with her body it shielded him enough; he
was thrown through the house against a wall and slightly hurt but did
not die.
BVH
Paul in Toronto
2006-03-21 03:33:25 UTC
What's Bush's excuse?
2006-03-21 03:53:59 UTC
Same as Jimmy Carter's?
No One
2006-03-21 15:00:38 UTC
Carter has a degree in Nuclear Science. I was not aware Bush did too.
2006-03-21 16:24:24 UTC
Post by No One
Post by I
Post by Paul in Toronto
What's Bush's excuse?
Same as Jimmy Carter's?
Carter has a degree in Nuclear Science.
He has a BS from the naval academy and did post-grad work in nuclear science,
and was a naval nuclear engineer (before quitting to become a peanut farmer).

All the more reason why he should have known the proper pronunciation of "nuclear".
Dillon Pyron
2006-03-22 03:29:36 UTC
Post by I
Post by No One
Post by I
Post by Paul in Toronto
What's Bush's excuse?
Same as Jimmy Carter's?
Carter has a degree in Nuclear Science.
He has a BS from the naval academy and did post-grad work in nuclear science,
and was a naval nuclear engineer (before quitting to become a peanut farmer).
All the more reason why he should have known the proper pronunciation of "nuclear".
He was a personal protege of Rickover.

There is only the now
Chris Basken
2006-03-21 16:19:15 UTC
"Paul in Toronto" wrote...
"Kweeg" wrote...
Post by Kweeg
Canadian prairie (Alberta) accent.
What's Bush's excuse?
Same as Jimmy Carter's?
And Ted Kennedy's?

I think Bush says "nukular" specifically to tweak the anal-retentive
academic types. I say "newklear" but if I had to deal with anklebiters
all day I might make up pronunciations just to tick them off, too...
Stephen Adams
2006-03-21 17:48:39 UTC
Post by I
Post by Paul in Toronto
Post by Kweeg
Canadian prairie (Alberta) accent.
What's Bush's excuse?
Same as Jimmy Carter's?
Eisenhower started it, I believe. Carter should have no excuse, though,
he's a damned Nuclear Engineer and a retired Navy Captain.

-Stephen
--
Space Age Cybernomad Stephen Adams
***@AMgmail.com (remove SPAM to reply)
Bert Hyman
2006-03-21 18:14:06 UTC
Carter should have no excuse, though, ...
Sure he does. He's from Georgia and that's just the way folks talk
down there.
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | ***@iphouse.com
David B
2006-03-21 06:10:01 UTC
He's from Texas. People from the South say it like that.
Donna B
2006-03-22 19:10:50 UTC
In alt.battlestar-galactica on Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:10:01 -0800 in Msg.#
Post by David B
Post by Paul in Toronto
What's Bush's excuse?
He's from Texas. People from the South say it like that.
Most people from the real South do not mispronounce nuclear. Most of Texas
is not part of the real South. Bush mispronounces it because words are not
his friends.
--
Donna B 8^> shallotpeel <*> Yahoo Messenger: shallotpeel

Simpsons, see the Simpsons, they're the modern cartoon family,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2231271827736577327&q=Simpsons
2006-03-22 19:51:41 UTC
What do you mean by "is"?
r***@nowhere.com
And Carter's excuse is?
Donna B
2006-03-23 00:25:28 UTC
Post by Donna B
Most people from the real South do not mispronounce nuclear. Most of Texas
is not part of the real South. Bush mispronounces it because words are not
his friends.
And Carter's excuse is?
Beats me. I would guess it's unknown to us. He doesn't have a problem with
words or pronunciation in general. I don't know whether it's a slight speech
impediment or if he got it stuck in his head the wrong way a long time ago &
never got it unstuck, or what. Learning something wrong & unlearning it is
much more difficult than learning it right in the first place.

Bo Raxo
2006-03-23 04:35:45 UTC
Post by Donna B
Most people from the real South do not mispronounce nuclear. Most of Texas
is not part of the real South. Bush mispronounces it because words are not
his friends.
And Carter's excuse is?
Beats me. I would guess it's unknown to us. He doesn't have a problem with
words or pronunciation in general. I don't know whether it's a slight speech
impediment or if he got it stuck in his head the wrong way a long time ago &
never got it unstuck, or what. Learning something wrong & unlearning it is
much more difficult than learning it right in the first place.
Or he was a politician in the South, and cultivated a speech pattern that
made him sound like regular folks. You don't get elected governor of
Georgia soundin' like a Yankee.

Bo Raxo
Donna B
2006-03-23 09:01:44 UTC
Post by Donna B
Post by Donna B
&
Post by Donna B
never got it unstuck, or what. Learning something wrong & unlearning it is
much more difficult than learning it right in the first place.
Or he was a politician in the South, and cultivated a speech pattern that
made him sound like regular folks. You don't get elected governor of
Georgia soundin' like a Yankee.
Yes, eventually he became a politician. Yes, he is a Southerner. Yes, he did
then, and does today speak with a Southern accent. Why would he speak like a
Yankee? He's not one. But, then, as now, his speech in general reflects his
intelligence & education, as well as his region. He is quite well spoken.
He's also an excellent writer.

There's this ignorant idea out there that sounding Southern equals sounding
stupid. People from any region, with any accent can sound & be stupid. Yes,
Yankees, too.

r***@nowhere.com
But Bush mispronounces because "words are not his friends"?
Bill Marriott
2006-03-24 17:38:40 UTC
Yes, because he's messed them up hundreds of times... enough to make books
about his gaffs. Carter's slip on one word (if that is true, I can't
remember when I've ever heard him say the word) is nothing in comparison to
Bush's butchering of the language.
Chris Basken
2006-03-24 18:11:39 UTC
Post by Bill Marriott
Yes, because he's messed them up hundreds of times... enough to make books
about his gaffs. Carter's slip on one word (if that is true, I can't
remember when I've ever heard him say the word) is nothing in comparison to
Bush's butchering of the language.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/fetal.asp
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/candidate.asp
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/bibleverse.asp
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.htm
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/eminem.asp

At least he knows how to say "gullible."

By the way, have you ever had an opportunity to hear Clinton talk
unrehearsed? I have. He makes Bush sound like Shakespeare.
Earl Greida
2006-03-24 19:10:31 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Bill Marriott
Yes, because he's messed them up hundreds of times... enough to
make books about his gaffs. Carter's slip on one word (if that
is true, I can't remember when I've ever heard him say the word)
is nothing in comparison to Bush's butchering of the language.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/fetal.asp
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/candidate.asp
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/bibleverse.asp
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.htm
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/eminem.asp
At least he knows how to say "gullible."
By the way, have you ever had an opportunity to hear Clinton talk
unrehearsed? I have. He makes Bush sound like Shakespeare.
That is one of the stupidest things ever written on Usenet. Only a
conservative fool with his head shoved as far up his ass as possible would
even think of writing something like that. I watched Clinton on CSPAN while
he was President and at the United Nations. All the leaders of the major
powers were with him and he was talking on a variety of subjects. The
leaders all sat there like children listening to the master speak as he gave
them lessons on economics and world issues. Bush cannot even carry on a
conversation, let alone talk intelligently on any subject. If you do not
like Clinton that's fine, but to outright lie and say that Bush is more
articulate than Clinton shows a clear psychological disorder on your part.
Chris Basken
2006-03-24 20:34:31 UTC
"Chris Basken" wrote...
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Bill Marriott
[...]
So, your answer is no.

You see, my brother was in the White House press corps during Clinton's
first term (and most of his second). I've heard *plenty* of clips, and
I've heard plenty of anecdotes, of the man trying to talk when he hasn't
had his material prepared for him. He stumbled and often reverted to
prerehearsed "sound bite" phrases. It was startling to hear, especially
since the media was careful to mask out anything that made him look less
articulate.

You also realize Bush is more popular than Clinton, and always has been,
despite how the media presents the two men, right? Or is that another
sign of a psychological disorder? (Still chuckling over "the master"
bit...)
Donna B
2006-03-24 20:47:16 UTC
In alt.battlestar-galactica on Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:34:31 -0500 in Msg.#
Post by Chris Basken
So, your answer is no.
Apparently so is yours.
Post by Chris Basken
You see, my brother was in the White House press corps during Clinton's
first term (and most of his second). I've heard *plenty* of clips, and
I've heard plenty of anecdotes, of the man trying to talk when he hasn't
had his material prepared for him. He stumbled and often reverted to
prerehearsed "sound bite" phrases. It was startling to hear, especially
since the media was careful to mask out anything that made him look less
articulate.
Yeah, gotta love those 2nd, 3rd and more examples, taken out of context!
Post by Chris Basken
You also realize Bush is more popular than Clinton, and always has been,
despite how the media presents the two men, right? Or is that another
sign of a psychological disorder? (Still chuckling over "the master"
bit...)
We realize totally different things. But, I would agree that the media has
treated the two men completely differently. They've been amazing at the way
they've just been rugs to be walked over for for Bush.

Chris Basken
2006-03-24 20:56:58 UTC
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
So, your answer is no.
Apparently so is yours.
If you read my response, you'd see my answer is yes.
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
You see, my brother was in the White House press corps during Clinton's
first term (and most of his second). I've heard *plenty* of clips, and
I've heard plenty of anecdotes, of the man trying to talk when he hasn't
had his material prepared for him. He stumbled and often reverted to
prerehearsed "sound bite" phrases. It was startling to hear, especially
since the media was careful to mask out anything that made him look less
articulate.
Yeah, gotta love those 2nd, 3rd and more examples, taken out of context!
Listening to a recorded clip is 2nd-hand? Certainly no moreso than
watching him on TV. And how does hearing how someone who heard the man
first-hand describe the experience magically transform into a 3rd-hand
experience? Who was the 2nd-hand?

You need to work on your general comprehension skills.
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
You also realize Bush is more popular than Clinton, and always has been,
despite how the media presents the two men, right? Or is that another
sign of a psychological disorder? (Still chuckling over "the master"
bit...)
We realize totally different things. But, I would agree that the media has
treated the two men completely differently. They've been amazing at the way
they've just been rugs to be walked over for for Bush.
Sure sure. I just love how CNN isn't interested in telling us how many
new schools have been built in Iraq. Or how Maddie Albright repeatedly
calls Bush a liar but can't seem to actually explain when he actually
lied and falls back on "that's just my opinion." Or how, only 5 *days*
into the Iraq war, Wolf Blitzer was calling it a quagmire.

Rugs!
Donna B
2006-03-24 22:09:58 UTC
In alt.battlestar-galactica on Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:56:58 -0500 in Msg.#
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
So, your answer is no.
Apparently so is yours.
If you read my response, you'd see my answer is yes.
Obviously I read it, and quoted it, and replied to it.
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
You see, my brother was in the White House press corps during Clinton's
first term (and most of his second). I've heard *plenty* of clips, and
I've heard plenty of anecdotes, of the man trying to talk when he hasn't
had his material prepared for him. He stumbled and often reverted to
prerehearsed "sound bite" phrases. It was startling to hear, especially
since the media was careful to mask out anything that made him look less
articulate.
Yeah, gotta love those 2nd, 3rd and more examples, taken out of context!
Listening to a recorded clip is 2nd-hand?
Listening to a recorded clip might simply be out of context. Impossible to
say without knowing what had happened to the clip before you heard it. Might
be second hand, out of context, might be further along & more egregious,
IOW, in case you still don't follow.
Post by Chris Basken
You need to work on your general comprehension skills.
Really, it's not something I have a problem with. Perhaps you're projecting
Post by Chris Basken
Sure sure. I just love how CNN isn't interested in telling us how many
new schools have been built in Iraq. Or how Maddie Albright repeatedly
calls Bush a liar but can't seem to actually explain when he actually
lied and falls back on "that's just my opinion." Or how, only 5 *days*
into the Iraq war, Wolf Blitzer was calling it a quagmire.
Rugs!
No problem agreeing to disagree. Our media is in a bad way & that has been a
growing problem for a long time. Some of the news is so hard to find you
have to find it yourself via other sources & not rely on mainstream US
media. Everything in the Bush presidency was a total gimme until Kristina.
Helluva honeymoon & still people eventually see bunk for what it is.

Chris Basken
2006-03-24 23:52:14 UTC
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
Sure sure. I just love how CNN isn't interested in telling us how many
new schools have been built in Iraq. Or how Maddie Albright repeatedly
calls Bush a liar but can't seem to actually explain when he actually
lied and falls back on "that's just my opinion." Or how, only 5 *days*
into the Iraq war, Wolf Blitzer was calling it a quagmire.
Rugs!
No problem agreeing to disagree. Our media is in a bad way & that has been a
growing problem for a long time. Some of the news is so hard to find you
have to find it yourself via other sources & not rely on mainstream US
media. Everything in the Bush presidency was a total gimme until Kristina.
Helluva honeymoon & still people eventually see bunk for what it is.
I'm sure this is how you justify Bush being re-elected. "The media made
it happen."

So lets have some examples of some of the gimmies. Would it be when Dan
Rather had a flunkie make up a memo in MS Word and pretended it was from
the 1970s (and then later, when he got caught, still had the balls to
insist it was accurate)? Maybe it was when that CNN guy (can't recall
his name) dressed up in an orange hunting jacket to report on Cheney's
shooting accident (where were the female journalists dressed up as Monica?).

And of course it continues to the present day. ABC has grudingly
admitted that the recently-discovered Saddam tapes might possibly have a
hint of a connection between someone in Saddam's government and Al
Qaeda. But only grudgingly, and it's being buried.

I'm hardly Bush's biggest fan (I think, on this NG, that would be Bob),
but I'm having trouble seeing anywhere, except once in a while on Fox,
where the media gave Bush any freebies.
Donna B
2006-03-25 00:43:59 UTC
In alt.battlestar-galactica on Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:52:14 -0500 in Msg.#
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
Sure sure. I just love how CNN isn't interested in telling us how many
new schools have been built in Iraq. Or how Maddie Albright repeatedly
calls Bush a liar but can't seem to actually explain when he actually
lied and falls back on "that's just my opinion." Or how, only 5 *days*
into the Iraq war, Wolf Blitzer was calling it a quagmire.
Rugs!
No problem agreeing to disagree. Our media is in a bad way & that has been a
growing problem for a long time. Some of the news is so hard to find you
have to find it yourself via other sources & not rely on mainstream US
media. Everything in the Bush presidency was a total gimme until Kristina.
Helluva honeymoon & still people eventually see bunk for what it is.
I'm sure this is how you justify Bush being re-elected. "The media made
it happen."
Nope, not at all. Never said it, never thought it. However, now that you
mention it, certainly it bears some consideration. Thanks. Although, really,
I'm not that interested in the past elections. BT/DT. Gotta move on.
Post by Chris Basken
I'm hardly Bush's biggest fan (I think, on this NG, that would be Bob),
but I'm having trouble seeing anywhere, except once in a while on Fox,
where the media gave Bush any freebies.
If so, then you missed a great deal, for a long time. But, don't feel bad,
many Americans did.
Chris Basken
2006-03-25 02:20:23 UTC
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
[...]
.org
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
I'm hardly Bush's biggest fan (I think, on this NG, that would be Bob),
but I'm having trouble seeing anywhere, except once in a while on Fox,
where the media gave Bush any freebies.
If so, then you missed a great deal, for a long time. But, don't feel bad,
many Americans did.
Which, if true, negates your point nicely (and it's okay that you didn't
provide any examples -- there aren't any).
Donna B
2006-03-25 02:49:22 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
.org
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
I'm hardly Bush's biggest fan (I think, on this NG, that would be Bob),
but I'm having trouble seeing anywhere, except once in a while on Fox,
where the media gave Bush any freebies.
If so, then you missed a great deal, for a long time. But, don't feel bad,
many Americans did.
Which, if true, negates your point nicely (and it's okay that you didn't
provide any examples -- there aren't any).
LOL, you're funny. And, apparently you were projecting all along. No .org
here, nothing negated, but still happy to agree to disagree.
Chris Basken
2006-03-25 05:39:02 UTC
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
.org
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
I'm hardly Bush's biggest fan (I think, on this NG, that would be Bob),
but I'm having trouble seeing anywhere, except once in a while on Fox,
where the media gave Bush any freebies.
If so, then you missed a great deal, for a long time. But, don't feel bad,
many Americans did.
Which, if true, negates your point nicely (and it's okay that you didn't
provide any examples -- there aren't any).
LOL, you're funny. And, apparently you were projecting all along. No .org
here, nothing negated, but still happy to agree to disagree.
Still no examples? Come on, I gave you a half dozen. You could at
least throw me one.

BTW, "agree to disagree" is code for "I got nothing."
Donna B
2006-03-25 06:05:31 UTC
In alt.battlestar-galactica on Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:39:02 -0500 in Msg.#
Post by Chris Basken
BTW, "agree to disagree" is code for "I got nothing."
Hmm, sorry you see it that way. That's not what it means to me & to many
people. YMMV.

Didn't see whatever it was you threw as whatever you meant it as, so,
whatever, ...

Bo Raxo
2006-03-28 00:33:44 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
.org
Post by Donna B
Post by Chris Basken
I'm hardly Bush's biggest fan (I think, on this NG, that would be Bob),
but I'm having trouble seeing anywhere, except once in a while on Fox,
where the media gave Bush any freebies.
If so, then you missed a great deal, for a long time. But, don't feel bad,
many Americans did.
Which, if true, negates your point nicely (and it's okay that you didn't
provide any examples -- there aren't any).
LOL, you're funny. And, apparently you were projecting all along. No .org
here, nothing negated, but still happy to agree to disagree.
Still no examples? Come on, I gave you a half dozen. You could at
least throw me one.
Bush's story on the yellow cake from Niger was a clear fabrication. When it
was exposed, he had Tenet and the CIA take the blame, and the media let that
slide.

In the run up to the Iraq war, it was clear that any supposed nuclear
weapons program would require a sophisticated delivery system - missile
technology that would be fairly easy to detect. There was none, the media
let that slide by. The whole politicization of intelligence, and the
building of a separate intelligence apparatus within the Pentagon by the
neocons is largely ignored by the main stream media. You would think the
Pentagon taking over many of the intelligence functions of the CIA would be
a big story.

American forces in Iraq kidnapped the family of an insurgent leader to try
to pressure him to surrender, a heinous violation of human rights. Largely
unreported.

Prisoners at Guantanamo are regularly portrayed by Rumsfeld and Bush as
terrorists, and "the worst of the worst". Only recently have any media dug
in to this, showing that most are just foreigners who happened to be in
Pakistan when we were offering a bounty for foreigners, and have no links to
Al Qaeda or the Taliban. Even now, this only gets reported on NPR and the
magazine National Journal, largely ignored by the main stream media.

Bush's past drug use is widely rumored, and he seems to have lost his flight
status in the Reserves by not showing up for a physical, just when they
started testing for drugs. Do I see reporters digging up people who knew
Bush in those years and asking about it? Nope.

Seen any in-depth stories on who will and won't benefit from the Medicare
Prescription Drug benefit? I haven't. Seen the press take Bush to task over
his "Clear Skies Act" which actually lowers air quality standards? I
haven't - and I watch CNN, the supposedly liberal network.

Do you see them throw Cheney's statement from last May that the insurgency
is on it's last legs back in his face? Nope. When Bush and Cheney repeatedly
said the troops would be home soon, that the war would be finished on Bush's
watch, were they challenged by the press? Nope. When they recently changed
their tune and said the war would probably last past this presidency, were
their earlier statements brought up in the articles reporting the new
statements? Not that I could see.

The economy: Bush has lost more jobs on his watch than any other President.
Do you see it being reported on?

Bush ran as a uniter not a divider: and yet his track record has been
incredibly divisive.

He ran as the "education President": but he's combined funding cuts with
high stakes testing, how's that for helping kids out? Passed "No Child Left
Behind" but didn't fund it. Raised interest rates on student loans. Do
you see any mainstream press coverage comparing his campaign promises with
his actions? I don't.

Bush has raised spending - and I don't mean security related, I mean general
social spending - by huge amounts. Do you see this reported on and compared
to Reagan style conservatism? I don't.

Bush seems to have abandoned his privatization of Social Security. I don't
see reporting on that, nor did I see in-depth analysis of the patent
absurdity that taking money out of a pay-as-you-go system would somehow
shore up it's finances.

When he made his latest State of the Union address, initiatives from his
last one (like returning to the moon, or was it Mars?) were forgotten. No
mainstream press coverage of that.

In the 2004 Presidential debates, Bush claimed 120K Iraqi security forces
would be trained within a year. Didn't happen, largely ignored. The
Level-1 ready number of Iraqi battalions was declared to be 3 last June,
then down to 1 last November, then down to zero last month. Was this all
over the news? Nope.

Are those enough examples for you? Because if not, I could come up with a
dozen more.

Bo Raxo
Bruce Burden
2006-03-28 04:37:02 UTC
Bo Raxo <***@earthcorp.removethistoreply.com> wrote:
:
: Bush ran as a uniter not a divider: and yet his track record has been
: incredibly divisive.
:
Come now - thicky has united public opinion in the world
pretty squarely against the United States. I think that counts
as a "uniter".

"Spends money like a drunken sailor" will soon be replaced
by "spends money like a drunken TxANG aviator".

Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
- Thuganlitha
The Power and the Prophet
Robert Don Hughes
Bo Raxo
2006-03-28 05:35:42 UTC
Post by Bruce Burden
: Bush ran as a uniter not a divider: and yet his track record has been
: incredibly divisive.
Come now - thicky has united public opinion in the world
pretty squarely against the United States. I think that counts
as a "uniter".
I stand corrected!

I recently called in to a local talk radio show and suggested we send Bush
over to Iraq, to show his expertise at being a uniter.
And the GOP's new motto will be: Ready, Fire, Aim.
Bob
2006-03-28 13:14:29 UTC
Post by Bruce Burden
Come now - thicky has united public opinion in the world
pretty squarely against the United States. I think that counts
as a "uniter".
That is commie bullshit.
Post by Bruce Burden
"Spends money like a drunken sailor" will soon be replaced
by "spends money like a drunken TxANG aviator".
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
You are living proof that Texans do tolerate leftist queers in their
state as long as they live in the PRA.

Wanna take the Texas Challenge, commie queer boi?
--Ronald Reagan
Bruce Burden
2006-03-29 05:05:33 UTC
Bob <***@uce.gov> wrote:
: On 28 Mar 2006 04:37:02 GMT, ***@realtime.net (Bruce Burden)
: wrote:
:
:> Come now - thicky has united public opinion in the world
:> pretty squarely against the United States. I think that counts
:> as a "uniter".
:
: That is commie bullshit.
:
Would that be Cuban, Korean or Chinese commie bullshit, boob?
You seem to be a connoisseur. Oh, sorry, big word. "expert". There,
thats smaller. Sorta like, well, we don't need to go there do we,
boob. That's why you got yourself a great big pickem up, aint it?

Hey, boob, ya know the reason thicky gots himself a ranch in
hickville, right? Yep, so he always has himself a fresh supply of
bullshit to feed bushtwits like you, boob.
:
:> "Spends money like a drunken sailor" will soon be replaced
:> by "spends money like a drunken TxANG aviator".
:
:> "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
:
: You are living proof that Texans do tolerate leftist queers in their
: state as long as they live in the PRA.
:
That's "PDRA", boob, as in "Peoples Democratic Republic of
Austin". Please get your facts straight, boob. What? Oh, right,
your a bushtwit, facts are just a hinderance. Okay, never mind.

Anyway, what do you expct from somebody living in a mobile
home in Jonestown? The butt of jokes on the local radio. Oh, right,
sorry, boob, I forgot, rock 'n roll just terrifies you KASE loving
rednecks, now dont it.
:
: Wanna take the Texas Challenge, commie queer boi?
:
"boi"? Are you attempting to talk french, boob? I thought
you bushtwits hate the French. After all, they wanted to keep
inspecting Iraq for them WMD thangs, they wouldn't jump on
thickies "lets all get Sadams head on a wall" bandwagon, and they
were even selling them things during Slicks "embargo"!

"commie"? Boob, I hate to present more of them thar facts
to you, but the french got them one of those "republic" thangs.
You know, sorta like you and your buddies like to dress up and
play at when you get enough coors in yah. Sorta like Tejas used
to be. You know, back before bushie lived in the PDRA...

"queer"? Now, boob, I know you hate rejection, but like I
done told ya, I like em with at least an IQ of 70. You know, sorta
like "Forrest Gump", but perhaps a little more stupid. Not a lot
more stupid like you, boob.

Ahhh, bushtwits. They remind me of the scarecrow: "If only
I had a brain..." What would you do with a brain, boob?

Robert Don Hughes
CatPanDaddy
2006-03-29 18:16:09 UTC
Post by Bruce Burden
"Spends money like a drunken sailor" will soon be replaced
by "spends money like a drunken TxANG aviator".
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
You are living proof that Texans do tolerate leftist queers in their
state as long as they live in the PRA.
Wanna take the Texas Challenge, commie queer boi?
If the word Texas is originally derived from a word meaning "friend" or
"friendly", that sure makes the Texas Challenge a funny name... doesn't seem
friendly at all!
Bob
2006-03-29 19:34:49 UTC
Post by CatPanDaddy
Post by Bob
Wanna take the Texas Challenge, commie queer boi?
If the word Texas is originally derived from a word meaning "friend" or
"friendly", that sure makes the Texas Challenge a funny name... doesn't seem
friendly at all!
It is, if you're not a leftist queer.
--Ronald Reagan
Chris Basken
2006-03-28 06:20:31 UTC
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/07/CNN25.tan.wilson/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/08/sprj.irq.bush.sotu/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/07/12/sprj.irq.uk.uranium.straw/
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/11/25/homeland.security/
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/06/07/cf.crossfire/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/24/hillary/
American forces in Iraq kidnapped the family of an insurgent leader to try
to pressure him to surrender, a heinous violation of human rights. Largely
unreported.
I have to admit, I found nothing on this. I'm not even aware of the
incident. Can you cite?
Prisoners at Guantanamo are regularly portrayed by Rumsfeld and Bush as
terrorists, and "the worst of the worst". Only recently have any media dug
in to this, showing that most are just foreigners who happened to be in
Pakistan when we were offering a bounty for foreigners, and have no links to
Al Qaeda or the Taliban. Even now, this only gets reported on NPR and the
magazine National Journal, largely ignored by the main stream media.
You're kidding, right? Guantanamo has been the subject of Saturday
Night Live skits and Daily Show clips. But just in case you're serious...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/13/gitmo.time/
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/17/un.guantanamo/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/23/un.guantanamo/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/11/25/guantanamo.judge/
Bush's past drug use is widely rumored, and he seems to have lost his flight
status in the Reserves by not showing up for a physical, just when they
started testing for drugs. Do I see reporters digging up people who knew
Bush in those years and asking about it? Nope.
You don't? I did.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/08/19/president.2000/bush.drug/
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/08/14/president.2000/bush.interview/
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/08/20/president.2000/bush.drug/
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/08/23/president.2000/candidates.bush/
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/25/dems.radio.ap/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/13/bush.medicare/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/23/congress.medicare/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/08/elec04.medicare/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/24/bush.dems.radio/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/22/churches.bush/
Do you see them throw Cheney's statement from last May that the insurgency
is on it's last legs back in his face? Nope. When Bush and Cheney repeatedly
said the troops would be home soon, that the war would be finished on Bush's
watch, were they challenged by the press? Nope. When they recently changed
their tune and said the war would probably last past this presidency, were
their earlier statements brought up in the articles reporting the new
statements? Not that I could see.
Well, I dunno where you were in 2003, but I remember Bush saying the war
wouldn't be over fast. In any event, I can find plenty of articles
talking about the war, about protesters, counting each death. I admit I
couldn't find anything about Bush saying the war would be over during
his presidency, but then, I don't remember him ever saying that (and I
watched his speeches when he made them).

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/19/war.protests.ap/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/30/us.iraq/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/24/troops.iraq/
The economy: Bush has lost more jobs on his watch than any other President.
Do you see it being reported on?
That's only true if you factor in the WTC destruction. Regardless...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/13/radio.bush.dems/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/31/mgrind.hot.friday/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/05/mon/
Bush ran as a uniter not a divider: and yet his track record has been
incredibly divisive.
Hm. Elected with 49% of the popular vote in 2000, then re-elected with
51% of the popular vote in 2004. Divisive?
http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/08/25/education.secretary.ap/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/21/bush.radio/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/02/23/no.child.left/
http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/03/03/reading.math.scores.ap/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/08/elec04.prez.bush.education/
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/02/20/bush.wrap/
Bush has raised spending - and I don't mean security related, I mean general
social spending - by huge amounts. Do you see this reported on and compared
to Reagan style conservatism? I don't.
I do, but I agree not by the mainstream media. They love spending.
This isn't something they'd complain about.
Bush seems to have abandoned his privatization of Social Security. I don't
see reporting on that, nor did I see in-depth analysis of the patent
absurdity that taking money out of a pay-as-you-go system would somehow
shore up it's finances.
There were so many SS reform articles I didn't know where to start.
Just a sampling.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/24/social.security/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/03/03/social.security/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/17/press.social.security/
When he made his latest State of the Union address, initiatives from his
last one (like returning to the moon, or was it Mars?) were forgotten. No
mainstream press coverage of that.
Not much to report. And it was returning to the Moon. Bush never
mentioned Mars as a goal (not that it stops his political opponents from
pretending he did in an effort to make him seem unrealistic).

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/15/bush.space/
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/space/04/10/nasa.budget/
In the 2004 Presidential debates, Bush claimed 120K Iraqi security forces
would be trained within a year. Didn't happen, largely ignored. The
Level-1 ready number of Iraqi battalions was declared to be 3 last June,
then down to 1 last November, then down to zero last month. Was this all
over the news? Nope.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/12/biden.iraq/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/11/22/robertson.iraq/
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/04/bush.iraq/

Incidentally, there are 125 Iraqi battalions, not 3, 1, or zero.
I dunno. CNN isn't mainstream enough?
Bo Raxo
2006-03-28 08:41:52 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Chris Basken
was exposed, he had Tenet and the CIA take the blame, and the media let that
slide.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/07/CNN25.tan.wilson/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/08/sprj.irq.bush.sotu/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/07/12/sprj.irq.uk.uranium.straw/
Articles about the subject, yes. Critical of Bush, no.
Post by Chris Basken
unreported.
I have to admit, I found nothing on this. I'm not even aware of the
incident. Can you cite?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A54345-2003Jul27

Col. David Hogg, commander of the 2nd Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division,
said tougher methods are being used to gather the intelligence. On Wednesday
night, he said, his troops picked up the wife and daughter of an Iraqi
lieutenant general. They left a note: "If you want your family released,
turn yourself in."
Post by Chris Basken
Seen any in-depth stories on who will and won't benefit from the Medicare
Prescription Drug benefit? I haven't. Seen the press take Bush to task over
his "Clear Skies Act" which actually lowers air quality standards? I
haven't - and I watch CNN, the supposedly liberal network.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/25/dems.radio.ap/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/13/bush.medicare/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/23/congress.medicare/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/08/elec04.medicare/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/24/bush.dems.radio/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/22/churches.bush/
Stories about the issue in general, yes. But critical of Bush, and laying
out that this is a huge giveaway of taxpayer funds to pharmaceutical
companies, no.
Post by Chris Basken
[...]
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/30/cheney.iraq/

The insurgency in Iraq is "in the last throes," Vice President Dick Cheney
says, and he predicts that the fighting will end before the Bush
administration leaves office.
Post by Chris Basken
The economy: Bush
Bush ran as a uniter not a divider: and yet his track record has been
incredibly divisive.
Hm. Elected with 49% of the popular vote in 2000, then re-elected with
51% of the popular vote in 2004. Divisive?
Very narrow victories: won by a margin of less than 1,000 votes in Florida
to win in 2000, won by about 100K votes in Ohio to win. Very narrow. Look
at the current furor between left and right - can you say with a straight
face the man is a uniter, not a divider?
Post by Chris Basken
Bush has raised spending - and I don't mean security related, I mean general
social spending - by huge amounts. Do you see this reported on and compared
to Reagan style conservatism? I don't.
I do, but I agree not by the mainstream media. They love spending.
This isn't something they'd complain about.
Bush seems to have abandoned his privatization of Social Security. I don't
see reporting on that, nor did I see in-depth analysis of the patent
absurdity that taking money out of a pay-as-you-go system would somehow
shore up it's finances.
There were so many SS reform articles I didn't know where to start.
Just a sampling.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/24/social.security/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/03/03/social.security/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/17/press.social.security/
Articles about it, sure. Critical of the obvious financial bullshit in his
projections he used, and in how privatization would only make it worse, no.
And do you see articles pointing out that he has pretty much dropped the
whole thing?
Post by Chris Basken
mainstream press coverage of that.
Not much to report. And it was returning to the Moon. Bush never
mentioned Mars as a goal (not that it stops his political opponents from
pretending he did in an effort to make him seem unrealistic).
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/15/bush.space/
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/space/04/10/nasa.budget/
But when the next year's speech rolled around, did the press hold him
accountable, criticize him for putting this out there and then dropping it?
No.
Post by Chris Basken
In the 2004 Presidential debates, Bush claimed 120K Iraqi security forces
would be trained within a year. Didn't happen, largely ignored. The
Level-1 ready number of Iraqi battalions was declared to be 3 last June,
then down to 1 last November, then down to zero last month. Was this all
over the news? Nope.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/12/biden.iraq/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/11/22/robertson.iraq/
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/04/bush.iraq/
Incidentally, there are 125 Iraqi battalions, not 3, 1, or zero.
I said Level-1 ready: that means able to operate independently. The media
has given him a free ride:
http://mediamatters.org/items/200603140009

National Public Radio (NPR), the Associated Press, and ABC reported
uncritically on the purported improvement of Iraqi forces, as touted by
President Bush in a speech. But these outlets failed to note that the number
of Iraqi battalions capable of operating independently has dropped from
three in June 2005 to none eight months later. Moreover, contrary to NPR's
assertion, Bush ignored this statistic in his speech and instead focused on
other, more favorable indicators of improved troop readiness.
On the March 13 broadcast of National Public Radio's (NPR) Talk of the
Nation, White House correspondent David Greene falsely reported that
President Bush, in a speech that day on Iraq, had asserted that the number
of Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) battalions able to operate independently of
the United States-led coalition had increased as of late. In fact, according
to the Pentagon, the number of Iraqi battalions capable of operating
independently has dropped from three in June 2005 to none eight months
later. Moreover, contrary to NPR's assertion, Bush's speech did not address
the ability of ISF forces to operate independently and instead focused on
other, more favorable indicators of improved troop readiness.

Further, both the Associated Press and ABC's World News Tonight, in their
coverage of the speech, repeated Bush's positive assessment of the training
of the Iraqi forces but failed to note that the number of independent
battalions has diminished over the past year.

In June 2005, senior U.S. commanders disclosed that, of the 107 Iraqi
battalions formed at the time, three had achieved "Level 1" status,
indicating their capability to plan and conduct independent operations. On
September 29, 2005, however, Army Gen. George W. Casey Jr., the top U.S.
commander in Iraq, informed the Senate Armed Services Committee that this
number had dropped to one battalion. More recently, Pentagon officials
stated on February 24 that the number of Level 1 battalions had fallen to
zero.

In a March 13 speech, Bush cited increases in the total number of Iraqi
battalions as well as the number able to lead operations alongside U.S.
forces. But he ignored entirely the drop in those units able to operate
independently:

BUSH: When I reported on the progress of the Iraqi security forces last
year, I said that there were over 120 Iraqi and police combat battalions
[sic] in the fight against the enemy -- and 40 of those were taking the lead
in the fight. Today the number of battalions in the fight has increased to
more than 130 -- with more than 60 taking the lead. As more Iraqi battalions
come on line, these Iraqi forces are assuming responsibility for more
territory. Today, Iraqi units have primary responsibility for more than
30,000 square miles of Iraq -- an increase of roughly 20,000 square miles
since the beginning of the year. And Iraqi forces are now conducting more
independent operations throughout the country than do coalition forces.

Discussing the speech with Talk of the Nation host Michel Martin, Greene
noted the doubts surrounding Iraqi troop readiness, but nonetheless falsely
reported that Bush had cited an increase in the number of Iraqi battalions
"acting independently without the help of U.S. coalition forces." By doing
so, Greene suggested that the number of independent Iraqi units had indeed
increased, when in fact they have fallen to zero.

- - -

A fine example of the free ride the press gives Bush. They report, but are
not critical of the bullshit he spins.
Chris Basken
2006-03-28 16:01:09 UTC
Post by Bo Raxo
Articles about the subject, yes. Critical of Bush, no.
Okay, hold it. The media's job isn't to tell us what to think, it's to
present the data so we can make up our own minds. You seem to be saying
that because CNN didn't inundate us with a negative opinion of Bush that
they're giving him a free ride. That's just wrong.

As long as the mainstream media gives us the information -- critically
or, better, neutrally -- they're not letting him "get away" with
anything. At that point, it's the mainstream *masses* that are letting
Bush get away with stuff, which is their right in a republic.
Bo Raxo
2006-03-29 09:04:21 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Bo Raxo
Articles about the subject, yes. Critical of Bush, no.
Okay, hold it. The media's job isn't to tell us what to think, it's to
present the data so we can make up our own minds. You seem to be saying
that because CNN didn't inundate us with a negative opinion of Bush that
they're giving him a free ride. That's just wrong.
You ignore the analysis I presented later in the post that showed examples
of Bush getting a free ride from the media.

Typical right-wign strategy: Ignore the substantive issues, find one
sentence to nitpick.
Post by Chris Basken
As long as the mainstream media gives us the information -- critically
or, better, neutrally -- they're not letting him "get away" with
anything. At that point, it's the mainstream *masses* that are letting
Bush get away with stuff, which is their right in a republic.
The mainstream masses are down to an approval rating for Bush of around 36%.
There are more people that disapprove than approve of:

his overall job performance
his handling of the war on terror
his handling of the economy

Bonus points: when asked which party they want to have control of Congress,
far more Americans answer "Democrats" than do "Republicans".

By your own measure, Bush and the GOP have failed.

Bo Raxo
Chris Basken
2006-03-29 14:46:48 UTC
"Chris Basken" wrote...
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Bo Raxo
Articles about the subject, yes. Critical of Bush, no.
Okay, hold it. The media's job isn't to tell us what to think, it's to
present the data so we can make up our own minds. You seem to be saying
that because CNN didn't inundate us with a negative opinion of Bush that
they're giving him a free ride. That's just wrong.
You ignore the analysis I presented later in the post that showed examples
of Bush getting a free ride from the media.
I'm challenging your definition of a free ride.
Typical right-wign strategy: Ignore the substantive issues, find one
sentence to nitpick.
Uh, yeah. Isn't that what you're doing when you ignore the critical
articles I posted? Quite a few had a "Bush tries to explain himself" theme.
Post by Chris Basken
As long as the mainstream media gives us the information -- critically
or, better, neutrally -- they're not letting him "get away" with
anything. At that point, it's the mainstream *masses* that are letting
Bush get away with stuff, which is their right in a republic.
The mainstream masses are down to an approval rating for Bush of around 36%.
his overall job performance
his handling of the war on terror
his handling of the economy
Not disputing this. In fact, I see a lot of it in the news every day.
Bonus points: when asked which party they want to have control of Congress,
far more Americans answer "Democrats" than do "Republicans".
By your own measure, Bush and the GOP have failed.
So? We're not discussing whether or not Bush has succeeded or failed.
We're discussing whether the mainstream media is ignoring his failures.
The fact that you can cite polls in which the mainstream masses are
disapproving kinda shows that he's not getting any free ride here.
Bob
2006-03-29 15:15:00 UTC
Post by Bo Raxo
Post by Bo Raxo
The mainstream masses
The same masses who said that the Moon Landing was faked.

The same masses who participate with enjoyment in the Milgram
Experiments.

The same masses who elected Clinton.
Post by Bo Raxo
his overall job performance
his handling of the war on terror
his handling of the economy
So what? Midterm slumps are common.
Post by Bo Raxo
Not disputing this. In fact, I see a lot of it in the news every day.
Ask the masses if they would rather have Gore or Kerry in place of
Bush. Then you will see his true popularity.
--Ronald Reagan
David Chapman
2006-03-28 10:41:10 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Bo Raxo
Bush ran as a uniter not a divider: and yet his track record has been
incredibly divisive.
Hm. Elected with 49% of the popular vote in 2000, then re-elected with
51% of the popular vote in 2004. Divisive?
I would say that splitting public opinion straight down the middle is as
perfect an example of being divisive as one could find.
"My son is not a terrorist - he is a junior IT support officer."
Bob
2006-03-28 13:22:19 UTC
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:41:10 +0100, "David Chapman"
Post by David Chapman
I would say that splitting public opinion straight down the middle is as
perfect an example of being divisive as one could find.
The distribution of IQs is approximated by a normal curve. The half
below the median voted for Gore and Kerry, the half above the median
voted for Bush.

That "divisiveness" you speak of is built into human nature.
--Ronald Reagan
Bob
2006-03-28 13:20:36 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Bo Raxo
Bush's story on the yellow cake from Niger was a clear fabrication. When it
was exposed, he had Tenet and the CIA take the blame, and the media let that
slide.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/07/CNN25.tan.wilson/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/08/sprj.irq.bush.sotu/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/07/12/sprj.irq.uk.uranium.straw/
You are wasting your time trying to show these leftist queers the
truth. They spend so much time crawling around in their boyfriends ass
that they don't know what's reality anymore. They pervert everything,
including the truth.

GW Bush is going to go down in history as one of the best presidents
we have ever had because he had the balls to do what should have been
done under the Clinton administration, namely, establish a strong
military presence in the Middle East so we can respond quickly to any
event that threatens our national interests and those of the world as
a whole.
--Ronald Reagan
Bo Raxo
2006-03-29 09:01:07 UTC
Post by Bob
Post by Bob
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Bo Raxo
was exposed, he had Tenet and the CIA take the blame, and the media let that
slide.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/07/CNN25.tan.wilson/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/08/sprj.irq.bush.sotu/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/07/12/sprj.irq.uk.uranium.straw/
You are wasting your time trying to show these leftist queers the
truth. They spend so much time crawling around in their boyfriends ass
that they don't know what's reality anymore. They pervert everything,
including the truth.
A gay flame: proof you've got nothing.
Post by Bob
GW Bush is going to go down in history as one of the best presidents
we have ever had because he had the balls to do what should have been
done under the Clinton administration, namely, establish a strong
military presence in the Middle East so we can respond quickly to any
event that threatens our national interests and those of the world as
a whole.
Funny then that he has some of the lowest approval ratings ever recorded.
Clearly, the American people don't agree with you.

Bo Raxo
Bob
2006-03-28 13:11:44 UTC
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:33:44 GMT, "Bo Raxo"
Post by Bo Raxo
Bush's story on the yellow cake from Niger was a clear fabrication.
You are lying.
--Ronald Reagan
Bo Raxo
2006-03-29 08:57:48 UTC
Post by Bo Raxo
Bush's story on the yellow cake from Niger was a clear fabrication.
You are lying.
Wilson's report - a year before the speech - showed it was a fabrication.
And that report was commissioned by the administration.
Bob
2006-03-29 12:28:47 UTC
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:57:48 GMT, "Bo Raxo"
Post by Bo Raxo
Post by Bob
Post by Bo Raxo
Bush's story on the yellow cake from Niger was a clear fabrication.
You are lying.
Wilson's report - a year before the speech - showed it was a fabrication.
And that report was commissioned by the administration.
I suppose that letter Dan Rather paraded all over 60 Minutes was
another example of how Bush was lying.

Wilson was debunked by later disclosures. You need to read everything
not just the commie bullshit from the pinko media.
--Ronald Reagan
Bob
2006-03-25 04:47:33 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
I'm hardly Bush's biggest fan (I think, on this NG, that would be Bob),
but I'm having trouble seeing anywhere, except once in a while on Fox,
where the media gave Bush any freebies.
As Texas governor he was the golden boy. He single-handedly turned
Democrat Texas (since Reconstruction) into Republican Texas. He got
70% of the popular vote in his second election (96% Anglo, 50%
Hispanic, 25% Black) and is the most popular public speaker.

The leftist queers, in both America and abroad, are going to pay a
price for treating him they way they have.
--Ronald Reagan
Robert J. Kolker
2006-03-25 06:58:57 UTC
Post by Bob
The leftist queers, in both America and abroad, are going to pay a
price for treating him they way they have.
For six out of his eight years of service, Dubyah has had his way. He
got his tax cuts. He got his war. What is lacking? Appreciation? Love?
In Washington if you want appreciation or love, get a dog.

The law does not permit him to have another term, so Dubyah has made the
legal limit in his political ambition. He has been denied nothing.

If the electorate choses to have a pinko stinko Fearless Leader for the
next four years, they surely will pay a price for the results, but that
price is not coming out of Dubyah's hide.

Bob Kolker
Donna B
2006-03-24 20:41:05 UTC
In alt.battlestar-galactica on Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:10:31 GMT in Msg.#
Post by Earl Greida
Post by Chris Basken
By the way, have you ever had an opportunity to hear Clinton talk
unrehearsed? I have. He makes Bush sound like Shakespeare.
That is one of the stupidest things ever written on Usenet. Only a
conservative fool with his head shoved as far up his ass as possible would
even think of writing something like that. I watched Clinton on CSPAN while
he was President and at the United Nations. All the leaders of the major
powers were with him and he was talking on a variety of subjects. The
leaders all sat there like children listening to the master speak as he gave
them lessons on economics and world issues. Bush cannot even carry on a
conversation, let alone talk intelligently on any subject. If you do not
like Clinton that's fine, but to outright lie and say that Bush is more
articulate than Clinton shows a clear psychological disorder on your part.
Totally hilarious. If Clinton has anything, and he does, he has the gift of
gab. Plus, as much of a policy wonk he is, as much as he reads, GMAB!!!
Words, Clinton's in heaven! What a joke.

Earl Greida
2006-03-24 23:39:59 UTC
Post by Earl Greida
Post by Chris Basken
[...]
You are absolutely correct. Clinton loves to talk, and about any subject.
He is the master of a spontaneous conversation. The absolute ridiculous
assertion that Bush is either more conversant or intelligent than Clinton
absolutely defies reality, and vividly shows that many conservatives live in
a fantasy world that is completely out of touch with reality. Clearly,
constantly living in a fantasy world and denying reality is a sign of mental
instability.
Robert J. Kolker
2006-03-24 23:48:52 UTC
Post by Earl Greida
You are absolutely correct. Clinton loves to talk, and about any subject.
He is the master of a spontaneous conversation. The absolute ridiculous
assertion that Bush is either more conversant or intelligent than Clinton
absolutely defies reality, and vividly shows that many conservatives live in
a fantasy world that is completely out of touch with reality. Clearly,
constantly living in a fantasy world and denying reality is a sign of mental
instability.
Clinton is a hard act to follow. First of all he is a -very- bright man.
Second of all he is a very well educated man. He was a Fullbright
Scholar, an honor not bestowed on dunces or mediocre intellects. Dubyah
on the other hand attended Yale and got his gentlman c-s. Not a stupid
person by any means (stupid people do not learn how to fly military
jets), but not a brilliant person either.

Bob Kolker
Bob
2006-03-25 04:42:38 UTC
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:48:52 -0500, "Robert J. Kolker"
Post by Robert J. Kolker
Clinton is a hard act to follow. First of all he is a -very- bright man.
Second of all he is a very well educated man. He was a Fullbright
Scholar, an honor not bestowed on dunces or mediocre intellects. Dubyah
on the other hand attended Yale and got his gentlman c-s.
Cite, please.
Post by Robert J. Kolker
Not a stupid
person by any means (stupid people do not learn how to fly military
jets), but not a brilliant person either.
You left out the MBA he earned at Harvard.

Since when does Harvard admit C-level students to its graduate school
of Business?
--Ronald Reagan
I watched that scene from "Triumph of the Will", too.
Bob
2006-03-24 19:21:52 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/fetal.asp
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/candidate.asp
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/bibleverse.asp
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.htm
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/eminem.asp
At least he knows how to say "gullible."
By the way, have you ever had an opportunity to hear Clinton talk
unrehearsed? I have. He makes Bush sound like Shakespeare.
No one can come near Marion Barry

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/barry.htm
--Ronald Reagan
Kweeg
2006-03-25 17:37:06 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
Post by Bill Marriott
Yes, because he's messed them up hundreds of times... enough to make books
about his gaffs. Carter's slip on one word (if that is true, I can't
remember when I've ever heard him say the word) is nothing in comparison to
Bush's butchering of the language.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/fetal.asp
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/candidate.asp
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/bibleverse.asp
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.htm
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/eminem.asp
At least he knows how to say "gullible."
By the way, have you ever had an opportunity to hear Clinton talk
unrehearsed? I have. He makes Bush sound like Shakespeare.
Nope. But if you can tell how stupid someone is by how they talk, that
Stephen Hawking must be a total idiot.
"So say we all!"
Robert J. Kolker
2006-03-25 17:53:12 UTC
Post by Kweeg
Nope. But if you can tell how stupid someone is by how they talk, that
Stephen Hawking must be a total idiot.
Hawkings now uses a computer device to articulate sounds. He had his
vocal chords removed or disabled years ago because of problems in
swallowing. His throat is completely paralyzed and he has to be
aspirated regularly to prevent him from drowing in his own spit.

Anyway, which is more important? What one says or how one says it?

Bob Kolker
Chris Basken
As was Thomas Jefferson, who stuttered badly.
Robert J. Kolker
2006-03-25 18:01:40 UTC
Post by Kweeg
Stephen Hawking must be a total idiot.
As was Thomas Jefferson, who stuttered badly.
Thomas Jefferson, however, was the master of the written word. He is
known for his literary output (including the Declaration of
Independence) more than any speeches he might have made. His letters
exchanged with John Adams after they had reconciled their differences
are masterpieces of literature. Once the passions of youth were washed
away you could see just how brilliant these two men were.

Bob Kolker
Kweeg
2006-03-25 18:18:36 UTC
Post by Robert J. Kolker
Post by Kweeg
Stephen Hawking must be a total idiot.
As was Thomas Jefferson, who stuttered badly.
Thomas Jefferson, however, was the master of the written word. He is
known for his literary output (including the Declaration of
Independence) more than any speeches he might have made. His letters
exchanged with John Adams after they had reconciled their differences
are masterpieces of literature. Once the passions of youth were washed
away you could see just how brilliant these two men were.
That's two for two, BOB....
....if you look way above your head you'll see the <insert favourite
acrobatics team here> in a amazing double diamond formation... they're
releasing coloured smoke so you can see them.....
"So say we all!"
Bob
2006-03-25 21:38:34 UTC
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:01:40 -0500, "Robert J. Kolker"
Post by Robert J. Kolker
Post by Chris Basken
As was Thomas Jefferson, who stuttered badly.
Thomas Jefferson, however, was the master of the written word. He is
known for his literary output (including the Declaration of
Independence) more than any speeches he might have made. His letters
exchanged with John Adams after they had reconciled their differences
are masterpieces of literature. Once the passions of youth were washed
away you could see just how brilliant these two men were.
Indeed they were. They wrote towering prose to human liberty while
they kept slave whores in the back.

The Cylons have a Plan - to treat the Colonials as their slave whores.
They may even write towering prose to celebrate it.

The analogy is obvious. The aborigine spawned primitive man, who
evolved to a technologically higher state, who then enslaved the
aborigine as his whore.

We who are technologically advanced are the Cylons.
--Ronald Reagan
Robert J. Kolker
2006-03-26 00:04:11 UTC
Post by Bob
Indeed they were. They wrote towering prose to human liberty while
they kept slave whores in the back.
Not John Adams. He was an abolitionist. He did not have to divide his
mind between sining praises to liberty and keeping human beings as
property. In that regard John Adams had more integrity than Jefferson.
Jefferson knew that slavery was wrong, but he really did not know how to
do away with it. Massachussetts was abolitionist country in those days.

Bob Kolker
Bob
2006-03-24 19:16:09 UTC
Post by Bill Marriott
Yes, because he's messed them up hundreds of times... enough to make books
about his gaffs. Carter's slip on one word (if that is true, I can't
remember when I've ever heard him say the word) is nothing in comparison to
Bush's butchering of the language.
What you do not realize is that most people confuse Texans with
Americans. Bush talks like a Texan because he is a Texan.

Texas is a whole other country.
--Ronald Reagan
Donna B
2006-03-24 20:39:02 UTC
Post by Donna B
Most people from the real South do not mispronounce nuclear. Most of Texas
is not part of the real South. Bush mispronounces it because words are not
his friends.
And Carter's excuse is?
Beats me. I would guess it's unknown to us. He doesn't have a problem with
words or pronunciation in general. I don't know whether it's a slight speech
impediment or if he got it stuck in his head the wrong way a long time ago &
never got it unstuck, or what. Learning something wrong & unlearning it is
much more difficult than learning it right in the first place.
But Bush mispronounces because "words are not his friends"?
He has trouble speaking, period. He mangles many words, not just one. What's
not to get here?

Bob
2006-03-24 22:33:26 UTC
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:39:02 -0500, Donna B
Post by Donna B
Post by r***@nowhere.com
But Bush mispronounces because "words are not his friends"?
He has trouble speaking, period. He mangles many words, not just one. What's
not to get here?
That's because people have become so conditioned to pinko commie media
speak, that when a Conservative Texan comes along and tells it like
itis, people can't understand him.

Bush is the most popular speaker in Texas, because Conservative Texans
understand him quite well. He has never lied to us.
--Ronald Reagan
Bo Raxo
2006-03-28 00:08:47 UTC
Post by Donna B
Post by r***@nowhere.com
But Bush mispronounces because "words are not his friends"?
He has trouble speaking, period. He mangles many words, not just one. What's
not to get here?
That's because people have become so conditioned to pinko commie media
speak, that when a Conservative Texan comes along and tells it like
itis, people can't understand him.
Check out this comprehensive list of Bush's mangling of the language. And
come up with even half that number of Clinton mangling the language like
Bush does:

http://www.slate.com/id/76886/
Post by Bob
Bush is the most popular speaker in Texas, because Conservative Texans
understand him quite well. He has never lied to us.
Hah, now I know you're off the deep end.

Bo Raxo
Bob
2006-03-28 13:11:17 UTC
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:08:47 GMT, "Bo Raxo"
Post by Bo Raxo
Check out this comprehensive list of Bush's mangling of the language. And
come up with even half that number of Clinton mangling the language like
http://www.slate.com/id/76886/
If I put a camera on you 24x7 I could find lots to be critical of. I
bet you scratch your balls now and then. That would look just great
displayed out of context.
Post by Bo Raxo
Post by Bob
Bush is the most popular speaker in Texas, because Conservative Texans
understand him quite well. He has never lied to us.
Hah, now I know you're off the deep end.
You are off the deep end. Texas is a whole other country that you
can't understand unless you have lived here for a while.

I defy you or anyone else to find one instance in which GW Bush lied
about something substantive to Texans. You won't find it.
--Ronald Reagan
Tim McGaughy
2006-03-25 17:53:44 UTC
No. We say nuclear.
Tim McGaughy
2006-03-21 06:00:30 UTC
Post by Paul in Toronto
Post by Kweeg
Canadian prairie (Alberta) accent.
What's Bush's excuse?
He's an idiot.

Duh.
David B
2006-03-21 06:24:01 UTC
Just like Jimmy Carter then since he says it the same way.
Earl Greida
At least Jimmy was a "Nuculer" engineer.
Tim McGaughy
Yeah, that about sums it up.
Louis Block
2006-03-25 19:02:31 UTC
Jeez. I'm sorry I started this thread. I just thought it was an
irritating production gaff worth noting.
--
Louis Block video/audio technician
San Francisco Bay Area
www.flyingwombat.com
Frankie Gouge
www.flyingwombat.com
Glassman
2006-03-21 03:13:58 UTC
Post by Louis Block
I'm still working my way through the first half of the second season.
Any one else notice how often #6 refers to the "nuculer weapon"? Even in
conversations with Baltar where he very clearly enunciates the word
"nuclear"? Maybe its just me, but you'd think someone on the set
would've corrected her. Or maybe its just her programming.
It's good enough for pres Bush...
--
JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com
www.MyConeyIslandMemories.com
Bo Raxo
2006-03-21 04:55:17 UTC
Post by Glassman
Post by Louis Block
I'm still working my way through the first half of the second season.
Any one else notice how often #6 refers to the "nuculer weapon"? Even in
conversations with Baltar where he very clearly enunciates the word
"nuclear"? Maybe its just me, but you'd think someone on the set
would've corrected her. Or maybe its just her programming.
It's good enough for pres Bush...
Same thing: it's just his programming.

Bo Raxo
-Lunacy-
Hobart Floyt
2006-03-23 10:26:48 UTC
Post by Louis Block
I'm still working my way through the first half of the second
season.
Any one else notice how often #6 refers to the "nuculer weapon"? Even in
conversations with Baltar where he very clearly enunciates the word
"nuclear"? Maybe its just me, but you'd think someone on the set
would've corrected her. Or maybe its just her programming.
Just wait until you get to the last episode.

The way James Callis pronounced "Baltar" had me
laughing.
p***@comcast.net
2006-03-23 18:16:42 UTC
Republican.
Bob
2006-03-23 18:32:16 UTC
Post by p***@comcast.net
Republican.
Which kind did you have in mind?
--
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads
Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-communist?
--Ronald Reagan
Chris Basken
2006-03-23 19:57:40 UTC
Post by p***@comcast.net
Republican.
Like Ted Kennedy and Jimmy Carter? They say "nukular," too.
Jake Mongoose
2006-03-23 20:11:08 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
Post by p***@comcast.net
Republican.
Like Ted Kennedy and Jimmy Carter? They say "nukular," too.
But that is different. You can only poke fun at the way people talk if
they are Republican.
Chris Basken
2006-03-23 21:01:19 UTC
Post by Jake Mongoose
Post by Chris Basken
Post by p***@comcast.net
Republican.
Like Ted Kennedy and Jimmy Carter? They say "nukular," too.
But that is different. You can only poke fun at the way people talk if
they are Republican.
That's fine. I tend to poke fun at the way people *think* if they're
Democrats...
Bob
2006-03-23 21:11:49 UTC
Post by Chris Basken
That's fine. I tend to poke fun at the way people *think* if they're
Democrats...
Not possible - Democrats can't think.